Monday, March 31, 2014

A week of car explosions and a bald Jesus, say what?

Oh man, this week has been beyond awesome. We have had some true adventures and experiences that make this mission even more memorable. I don't even know where to begin. I hope I don't forget anything good. Monday was something else. We got a text from the elders inviting us to join them at the Kemah boardwalk. It was kinda cold but we had nothing else to do and we didn't want to be stuck inside doing nothing. We hurried and got our shopping done and did about half of our email and decided we would finish the rest after. Well with it being so cold that day half of the shops weren't open and no one else was there. We made it fun by taking pictures in the middle of the water fountain and trying to dodge getting hit. One family stopped and watched and laughed at us. Luckily we all made it out alive and dry. We went and looked around the shops that were open when Sister Cotton and I got a text from Mr. Jack. He told us he had an emergency and wanted to see if we could come over at 3. It was already 2 and we still had things to do. We were able to push it back until 5. We had no idea what the emergency was but we decided to end our day early to help him. Then we got another call from Sister Brower saying we had dinner with them at 5. It took us by surprise because we don't have people feed us on Mondays. We told her that we would come but we might be a little late. We rushed back to finish emailing which we didn't... and ran out of time to wash our car and do a few other things. About the time we were leaving the church, Sister Brower called us back and told us that she meant to call the other sisters not us, but we were welcome to still come to dinner. We kindly declined because it was so far out of our way and in the middle of another lesson we already had. We get to Mr. Jack's and the emergency was building a flower bed so he could clear all the rocks and mulch off of his trailer. He wanted it shaped like a peanut and about six feet long. Sister Cotton and I were a little irritated that this was the emergency and we screwed up our whole day to come play in the mud. Naturally, I started raining as soon as we got there. To make it fun and try to lighten the mood I jumped on the ground and put my hands above my head. Sister Cotton looked at me like I was crazy and asked what I was doing. I said I was being her ruler and to mark the ground around me. We finished the peanut shape, but Sister Cotton, being the perfectionist she is, made us do it over again because the sides weren't even. I left that to her because I can barely draw a circle and have it be right. After we finally got it right we planted palm tree bulbs and covered it with mulch. After that Sister Cotton continued to perfect the flower bed and I started gathering the rocks from the trailer. Mr. Jack didn't want them in the dirt so I had to go through the dirt and grab all the rocks. It was taking forever and I was barely making a dent. Finally Jack and Sister Cotton came to help. We were covered in mud and wet, but we had to go. We left Jack with just a little left to do by himself. We drove as fast as tiwi (little angry man that lives in a box and tells us to slow down) would let us to our next appointment. Rhea opened the door and asked why we were so dirty. We asked if we could change and then we taught her. I love Rhea so much. Tuesday wasn't super awesome. Nothing epic happened besides eating cow tongue!! Oh man, did I have to put my best poker face on. The texture is so weird; I don't like it. The meat didn't taste that bad. It was spicier than my little mouth could handle, but I had to do it. We had dinner with Kevin and Chanselle. They are recent converts and both immigrants to the states. Kevin is from El Salvador and Chanselle is from the Congo. She wanted to feed us African food but didn't get home in time to make it. She said next time. She has to think about it though because they eat a lot of fish and she know that we both don't like fish. It was a good night though. Wednesday was pretty normal too. We did however find a member we didn't know about while looking for a referral we had received. Jet moved here from Tennessee about 4 months ago to live with his sister Jessie. She was who we were looking for. He told us he joined the church a few years ago and has been looking for the meetinghouse since he got here. It was a miracle. Thursday was a long, long day! We had to teach seminary and it was weekly planning. We taught 3 Nephi 11 which is one of the best chapters ever and a missionary chapter. We barely had to plan what to teach because we teach this everyday. We brought everything we needed for weekly planning and a nap with us because we had breakfast with Bishop Brower that day as well. We took the couch from one foyer and pushed it to the other one so we both would have a couch to nap on. We faced them away from the window to cut out the light. Best thing ever since sliced bread. Who cares about the mother's room anymore. After we got back to the church from breakfast we took our little nap. We then planned on our couches. We had an appointment, but she cancelled last minute. We took awhile to plan because a lot of our investigators disappeared off of planet earth lately. Sister Stortz called in the middle of it, but we decided we would just call her back after dinner. For dinner Sister Johnson took all the sisters out to Salad Express while I was getting more food like the fatty I am a man looked at me and said hello Sister Taylor. He caught me off guard no one calls us by name without knowing us. I was like, crap this is someone in the ward that I don't know! I was panicking on the inside then he told me he and his wife were visiting from Florida and asked for the address to the church. I gave it to him with a sigh of relief. After dinner we called Sister Stortz back while driving back to our area. She was having a rough day. The people she asked to be her escorts in the temple had all backed out. She didn't know what to do. We reminded her that it didn't matter who was there because this was for her. She then asked how the area was and we told her kinda slow. She gave us a good slap to the face and told us to pray. We told her we already do that, and she replied than pray with more faith. We didn't like being told that but we did it right after we got off the phone with her. It was a rainy day no one was outside to talk to but we decided to try all our referrals again for the 17th time or so. And miracle we got three new investigators. We know prayers are answered. Friday was the best day of this week. We had many service projects planned for that day. We were suppose to help the Pypers de-clutter at 10. We showed up and no one answered. We figured they were still sleeping and we would try back later. Sister Cotton had to impression to try Darrel. We had tried seeing Darrel everyday but nothing. We even knocked on the door for a solid 15 minutes one day. We pulled up and prayed with lots of faith that he would be home and we could figure out what was going on. As we walked up to the door I looked at his truck and low and behold there he was in his truck! I hit Sister Cotton and we got pretty excited. Darrel opened the door and told us he was trying to leave to get to physical therapy, but his truck wouldn't turn over. He said it was an act of God so that we would be able to see him. We found out he had a few deaths in the family and was just going through a rough time. He wanted time to himself and that is why he wasn't answering the phone or the door. So then we decided to help him with his truck. He thought it was just out of gas so we took his gas can and went and got him some gas. We came back and he poured about 3 or 4 gallons in the truck. He tried it and nothing happened. He decided he needed to prime it a little because there was air in the fuel line. He took the lid of the carberator and poured some gas in there. He cranked it and it started for a few seconds. We went about this process for 15 minutes or so. We then offered to call someone in the ward to give him a ride, but he is pretty hardheaded and didn't want help. So then we kept on going with the gas. Then the excitement begins. He poured some more gas in there Sister Cotton and I were hanging out by the side of the truck. Darrel cranked it and it started then BOOM it sounded like a backfire and smoke is everywhere and then fire! Darrel rips his shirt off to get it out but it wasn't really working Sister Cotton and I ran into the house to find a fire extinguisher. We ran to the kitchen because that is where everyone keeps it right? Nothing we are starting to freak out. So we were to the garage. Sister Cotton is trying to open the door in the dark and it isn't working I turn the light on and there it is hanging on the wall. We run out feeling like heroes and we see Darrel put it out with a Monster energy drink. The original green one to be exact. We were like great now you have sugar in there and we both knew that was bad. We thought that was the end of it, but no Darrel goes at it again trying to get it to work. He then gets a bright idea to put some gas in a spray bottle and spray it on there at the same time as turning the key. He asked if one of us would do it. Sister Cotton was behind me so he asked me to do it. I said yes while saying a little prayer in my heart that I wouldn't die. Sister Cotton was like don't worry I got your back as she holds the extinguisher. I started spraying from as far as away as I could. I wasn't spraying like Darrel wanted so he did both at the same time because he is so tall. Then explosion number two!!! This time we grab the extinguisher and put out the fire. We thought we were safe, but Darrel tried again even though he kept saying it won't work for sure now. Thankfully Mr. Jack came home and Darrel finally gave up. It was awesome. Saturday we taught Sean. He was a media referral. We called him a few days before and he said to meet at Taco Bell because of his living situation. We thought we were heard him say he lives in a tent, but traffic was so loud we weren't sure. He told us to be there at 3 and to bring him a Book of Mormon. We were like sweet he sounds pretty solid. We showed up and were pretty exciting. He walked in carrying a bag full of clothes and left his shopping cart outside. We sit down and start talking. I could smell the alcohol almost immediately. He came from Georgia to get away from drugs and alcohol. He didn't really give us a chance to teach, but he knew the Book of Mormon. We were able to talk about a few scriptures. He had lots to say then started telling us about revelation he received in a vision. He was in a room full of colors floating around and then he was on the cross next to Jesus. He told us Jesus was bald and that was all he could focus on. He then told us that Jesus had beams of light shooting out of his chest that then went into Sean's stomach. He said it was joy and that he didn't know you could feel joy like that. We started looking at each other and didn't know how to respond to that. He asked where the church was and what time we met. We told him. As we left I was like he is so drugged out right now he won't remember. I was like great another druggie to teach. We hope that we can help him through it. Brother Bartosek said we should have a priesthood holder with us from now on when we meet with him. We had the women's broadcast that night as well. It was pretty good. We laughed when they talked about turning towards your mom and giving her a smile. Sister Cotton was like look my mom is hearing talking about her trainer. She smiled at her, but Sister Hinton didn't turn around. I was like darn both of my moms aren't here. Then we said how both of our moms were probably at home bawling right now because of that sentence. Sunday was great. Rhea who is like my twin sat by us at church. She told us Saturday that she would get up and bear her testimony. It was half way through and Sister Cotton did the stare down and I kept nudging her. She finally got up and bore one of the most powerful testimonies I have ever heard. It was sweet and simple, but it went straight to the heart. She talked about how much this gospel has effected her life and made her a better person. All the testimonies were great. I couldn't have asked for a better day to have our investigator Carlos came. He looked like he loved every minute of it. Rhea started wearing my name tag and it looked great on her. Everyone told her she would be a great missionary. She stole my name tag the rest of church. I forgot to get it back after because we were helping her get an interview with Bishop for the temple. All in all this was a great week. We had lots of things happen. We quote the car explosion like every two minutes only because we are two of the funniest people. Everyone says we are perfect companions for each other. I am starting to believe it. We think the same and we are starting to follow promptings that we both were ignoring before. Those promptings are the things that make miracles happen. I love that slowly we are starting to get this area going again. We pray with faith and know that is what really helps the Lord answer your prayers. I love you all and hope you have a great week. Don't forget to read your scriptures. You will be surprised how often you are lead by the spirit to know what to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment