Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Push, push, push a car gently down the road...

So this week was not as eventful as some of my others, but we did have some random things happen to us. This week we had to go downtown for a doctor's appointment for my companion. We were at the doctor forever! We were both starving and just wanted to get home, but the Lord had a different plan for us. As we were driving to get lunch I saw a car stalled in the middle of the street. The guy couldn't get the car to move and everyone just kept honking at him. I asked Sister Petersen if she was ready for some service, pointing to the car. We parked our car and ran out into the street to help this poor teenage kid. Meanwhile it had started to rain again! It was us two sisters and one man pushing this car in the middle of traffic. Then out of nowhere pulls up another truck and out hops a man. He said he couldn't allow two ladies in skirts to push a car by themselves. We were able to get him into a parking lot and out of the way. It was awesome! Cars seem to be the exciting part of a mission for me. Changing tires and pushing them around in traffic. Maybe I should be a mechanic or something when I get back. Just kidding! We taught Melody twice this week with two different members from the ward. We are hoping that meeting people will make her feel comfortable with the idea of church. She had a baptismal date for next week, but she didn't come to church so it has to be pushed back. It is was a little disappointing, but we will get her there don't you worry. Melody is super sweet. She loves when we come over and visit with her. The best thing is that she reads everything that we leave with her, and her prayers are some of the most sincere prayers I have ever heard. I know she will be baptized. Angelina is still as awesome as ever. She even came and taught a lesson with us! It is a great experience. She was able to share that she herself is still investigating the church, but she knows that it is the true church. It was awesome to hear her testimony. She said she didn't realize what it is like to be a missionary. She told us we are strong for having to deal with people like that. We went to a lesson with Bob, Karianne, and Jim. They are a fun family that loves the bible a lot. Karianne knows more bible verses than I know what to do with. Everything we tried talking about she wanted to see it in the bible. It was stressful trying to get two cents in. They did most of the talking and it was frustrating. We were able to leave them with copies of the Book of Mormon to read it for themselves to see why we turn to it so much. Yesterday as we were leaving an appointment a little girl was out riding her scooter across the parking lot and started yelling at us. She came riding over pretty fast and asked what we were doing. I told her that we were going to go visit some of our friends. I asked her what she was doing and what her name was. She responded by saying, "My name is Jordan. J-O-R-D-A-N." It was so funny. I asked if she lived around here and who is lived with. She told us she lives in building seven all the way down there it takes forever to get there, but that we can come by and see her. It was awesome. She basically had a street contact with us. Maybe we should get scooters to have to confidence to chase people down across the parking lot. We didn't have too many exciting lessons, but we did have one that we didn't want to have. The ward council asked us to see why Juan and Kristina haven't been coming to church. They had a list of questions to ask them and wanted us to ask because they knew that some of the questions would probably make them a little mad. So me being the nice person I am took one for the team. I asked Juan what the game plan was and why he wasn't coming to church. I asked a few others, but his guard was up instantly. He didn't like what I had to say and why I was asking. He said he would plan a meeting with the Bishop so that he could see their intent. I was told later by a member that Juan said if I was a man he would of punched me in the face. I didn't enjoy having that conversation, but it was needed. We needed to know what was going on so we could continue teaching them and their children. Juan has cooled down since then and we have an appointment with them tomorrow so hopefully he and I will have a better conversation then. These conversations are not easy, but I knew it was what the Lord wanted me to do. If I didn't ask, my companion and I wouldn't know how to help them progress in the gospel. It is tough work out here, but someone has got to do it. Good thing I learned to be tough from Sister Blume! Sorry it is a little shorter than usual... I forgot my planner in the car so I can't remember anything else that happened this week. I love you all! Love, Sister Marie Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment